TX Group is the shareholder of some of Switzerland's most well-known digital brands, including 20min, JobCloud (jobs.ch), Homegate, Tutti, Ricardo, Doodle, and Zattoo. The combined audience on web and mobile represents about 40% of the measured Internet traffic in Switzerland. As such TX Group plays an active role in supporting and guiding these companies to further success.
Our world-class journalistic content management system, Unity, is the heart of content creation and distribution for Switzerland’s largest private news media businesses. It allows over 1,000 journalists to deliver the news to around 4 million readers a day. We are looking for a frontend technical leader to drive the product in the position of
Front End Lead, Content Management Platform (f/m) 80-100%
This is a challenging and multi-faceted role, that involves:
- Setting the front end technical direction for the evolution of Unity, including technology choices and architecture
- Setting engineering standards and practices for a team of 6 (at the time of writing) software engineers, distributed across Switzerland and Serbia
- Coaching front end engineers to foster their technical and professional growth
- Partnering with the Product Manager, Back End Lead, and Head of Engineering to inform the product roadmap with technical considerations
- Partnering with the Agile Coach to ensure a healthy engineering culture and effective processes
About the Product
Unity is the backbone of our publishing business. It runs fully in the public cloud and allows journalists to create, route, and distribute content, across a broad network of regional news titles in multiple languages. Your team builds the front end layer that our journalists use, written in React with Typescript and Storybook. Other teams build the backend layer built in Java, and a high-availability, scalable distribution layer, called “Feed”, written in Go.
The front end is the primary tool for journalists in both of TX Group’s media business, Tamedia and 20 Minuten. It is a sophisticated tool supporting many complex functions within the journalistic workflow.
About the Team
Unity’s front end team consists of 4 people in Switzerland (including the lead), and is still growing in Belgrade, currently targeting 8 people in total.
What’s in your Toolbox
While we expect that different people will have different strengths, you should be good at most of these things, and prepared to grow into the rest
- You are an experienced software engineer who has delivered lots of product releases; you have seen enough that you can now help predict what could possibly go wrong.
- The ability to think ahead and figure out how the product needs to evolve from a technical perspective; you can evolve the code architecture and influence the process.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively to a range of audiences, to convince others of the power of your ideas
- The ability to grow and develop technologists, as you will be responsible for people management of the front end team
- The judgement to drive a compelling vision for technology choices and architecture
- The technical depth to contribute to the code base and mentor other engineers
- Specific experience with modern React (hooks, functional components), Typescript, modern front-end tooling (we use styled-components, react-hook-forms, Jest, Puppeteer, etc.)
- Curiosity, energy, and a desire to support independent journalism
We do not accept unsolicited applications from third-party agencies.